PENNSYLVANIA RAILROAD STANDARD TELEPHONE BOOTH
Circa 1909 (Replica)

str_phone01

Telephones, either in "Telephone Booth" structures or in simpler Telephone Boxes, were placed wherever there was a need for a locomotive engineer or conductor to talk to the dispatcher or block controller.

Trains were required to stop at certain lineside signals unless permitted to continue without stopping, by a written Train Order. Without the specific authority of a Train Order to the contrary, the engineer was required to call ahead for clearance to proceed.
This replica of a Pennsylvania R.R. Telephone Booth is based on a P.R.R. 1909 Standard Plan. It was built in 2004 by Whippany Railway Museum Trustee, Earle H. Gil, Sr.

 

 

6.png1.png6.png7.png6.png7.png

The Whippany Railway Museum is a member of the Association of Tourist Railroads & Railway Museums
and the United Railroad Historical Society of New Jersey.
Please read our disclaimer

Whippany Railway Museum
P.O. Box 16
Whippany, NJ 07981-0016
(973) 887-8177
E-mail: info@whippanyrailwaymuseum.net

Questions? E-mail the Webmaster