You are here: Home Exhibits Equipment

RAILBUS NUMBER 10


Page 1 2 3 4

In the late 1960's, the Whippany-based Morris County Central Railroad acquired the remains of the bus, and began restoration. The MCC added a "new" motor, transmission and radiator from a 1924-vintage White-built firetruck. On the original bus, a "steering wheel" was installed, most likely put onboard as the most logical place to locate the motorman's hand controlled throttle and spark advance levers.

 

The restored No. 10 includes this steering wheel as well. A 1920's era bus body, similar in appearance to the original one, was placed atop the frame.

 

In addition, a custom-built turntable was added to the bottom of the bus so that it could be turned anywhere along the line.

 

The restored No. 10 was placed in tourist excursion service during the 1969 Labor Day Weekend and operated in-between the MCC's regularly scheduled steam locomotive-powered runs.

 

After 10 years of very active passenger & track maintenance service for the Morris County Central, at both Whippany

 

and later in Newfoundland, NJ, "Old No. 10" was placed in storage in an inoperable condition. It would be two long decades before the bus would move under its own power again.

 

<-Previous Page<-     ->Next Page->