PENNSYLVANIA RAILROAD STANDARD TELEPHONE BOOTH
Circa 1909 (Replica)
Telephones, either in "Telephone Booth" structures or in simpler Telephone Boxes, were placed wherever there was a need for a locomotive engineer or conductor to talk to the dispatcher or block controller.
|Trains were required to stop at certain lineside signals unless permitted to continue without stopping, by a written Train Order. Without the specific authority of a Train Order to the contrary, the engineer was required to call ahead for clearance to proceed.|
|This replica of a Pennsylvania R.R. Telephone Booth is based on a P.R.R. 1909 Standard Plan. It was built in 2004 by Whippany Railway Museum Trustee, Earle H. Gil, Sr.|