All of us at the Whippany Railway Museum and the Morristown & Erie Railway want your visit to be fun and educational. We work very hard to provide a safe and enjoyable site for you and your family to vist as well as learn from the past. On days when the Museum is open we hope you will explore the vintage railroad equipment on display in the Whippany Yard, but a note of Caution and Safety must be used.
To ensure your safety, please follow these rules...they are for your benefit:
- Visitors are only permitted on railroad equipment where stepboxes are provided for access.
- Any equipment marked with a "Do Not Climb" sign is not open to the public.
- Visitors are NOT permitted to climb on ANY locomotive parked or displayed at the site.
Keep in mind the old saying: "Any time is train time." Many visitors do not realize that our Museum site is located on a live, active rail line. It is not a playground or a public park. A train could pass through at ANY time. IT IS NOT POSSIBLE TO STOP A TRAIN QUICKLY. Even at the slow speeds trains utilize while running through our site, the engineer will not be able to stop the train "on a dime", even with an emergency application of the brakes.
PLEASE HELP US CONTINUE OUR PERFECT SAFETY RECORD BY OBSERVING THIS IMPORTANT RULE:
KEEP OFF THE TRACKS AT ALL TIMES!
- Keep an eye on your children. They are your responsibility.
- Don't let your children wander off on their own... Keep them away from the tracks.
- Use the crosswalks to cross tracks. Walk, don't run.
- Do not walk on the top of the rails. You can easily sprain or break your ankle if you lose your balance.
- Please keep off of the ladders that lead to the roofs of certain railcars.
- NEVER WALK IN FRONT OF, OR ATTEMPT TO CLIMB ONBOARD A MOVING TRAIN!
- Do not crawl underneath any rolling stock or locomotive.